Groot Hospitality employs team members who demonstrate a passion for hospitality and dedication to company values and customer service. We are a diverse organization that provides the opportunity to excel in a fast-paced multicultural environment. We are always looking for passionate people who will embrace our belief of hospitality, company growth and customer experience. Our commitment to diversity, teamwork, and integrity are indicative of the service we provide to our guests. We offer career opportunities with work/life balances, as well as a rewarding career experience.
A Butcher is responsible for the daily preparation and execution of preparing/ cutting meat, poultry and seafood products according to restaurant specifications. The individual is responsible in getting their mise-en-place finished before service in accordance to standards set by the executive chef and the restaurant. They are responsible in keeping quality by rotating products and waste management. They are expected to keep consistency in technique and presentation as guided by the executive chef and are not allowed to make any changes or variation and are held accountable in any violations. This is a teamwork-oriented position so basic communication and reading skills is a must.
Due to the nature of our business, this position is required to work weekends and holidays.
The day-to-day responsibilities include but are not limited to:
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Performs all Butcher duties as directed in a sanitary and timely manner.
· Follows guidelines, portion controls, and presentation specifications as set by the chef or restaurant.
· Restocks all items as needed throughout shift and is responsible in taking inventory after service.
· Cleans and maintains station in practicing good safety, sanitation, organizational skills.
· Has understanding and knowledge to properly use and maintain all equipment in station.
· Assists with the cleaning, sanitation, and organization of kitchen, walk-in coolers, and all storage areas.
· Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Chef, Sous Chef or chef de partie at any time.
· A thorough and deep understanding of professional cooking including basic techniques and working food knowledge.
· Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
· Previous prep or line cook experience.
· Professional communications skills are required.
· Ability to take direction.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
· Must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated, and organized.
· Commitment to quality of service and in food and beverage knowledge.
· Must be aware of company policies regarding benefits, call outs, vacation hours etc.
· Must be open-minded and show the eagerness to learn and move forward.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· High school diploma or GED
· Proven meat cutting experience
· A food handler’s license
· Sound knowledge of food health and safety regulations
· The ability to stand for extended periods
· The ability to work a fast-paced environment
· Excellent communication and leadership skills
· Exceptional organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
· This position will spend 100% of the time standing.
· Occasional environmental exposures to cold, heat and moisture.
· The individual must be able to transport up to 40 pounds on occasion and up to 25 pounds regularly.
· Must be able speak, read and understand basic cooking directions.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.